Best New Year’s 2018 Celebrations in PV
Puerto Vallarta is an exciting place to be for New Year’s Eve 2017-2018 with many options for activities, celebrations, firework displays and the romantic NYE dinner.
With the booming towns capacity reaching 100% this holiday, be sure to book your reservations ahead of time; have a tentative plan of how you want to spend your evening, and who you want to share your New Year’s kiss with!
Mexican Style Street Party
The Mexican style street party takes place at the Malecon at 9pm. At Olas Atlas, street shuts down, live music is offered everywhere and street vendors fill the streets. Their selections include taco stands, hot dogs, churros, chili corn on the cob & all the NYE paraphernalia you need
If you’re traveling with your family, enjoy bouncy castles & activities for the kids.
Fireworks above Los Arcos
On December 30th & 31st, the 2nd annual Luminia Fest, a Puerto Vallarta Pyrotechnics Festival, bringing the best pyrotechnics in the country to show their ‘art’ to the rhythm of contemporary music performed on the Malecon in Puerto Vallarta.
The Festival Program
Saturday December 30th
- 7:00pm: Local flamenco & Gipsy Rumba
- 8:00pm: Mexicanisimo Ballet with exalt Mexican art
- 9:30pm: Mariachis – The Grandchildren of Sebastian Lupercio Hernandez & Nuevo Continental
- 11:00pm: Pyromance & Retro MX
Sunday December 31st
- 7:00pm: Dan Solo DJ Set & San Juan Project
- 9:00pm: Master Plus with Cumbia & Norteno
- 10:00pm: Jafed Barragan Rodriguez - pyrotechnic castle will be lit
- 12:00am: Ring in the New Year with the pyromusical from the State of Mexico paired with a firework display
14 NYE Mexican Traditions
1. Write all of your wishes for the year to come on individual pieces of paper. Burn each one separately as your wishes come true
2. Like spring cleaning but for the New Year, clean everything in your house, your pets, your car, etc., to start fresh for the coming year
3. Mop the house with cinnamon water
4. Burn incense before midnight
5. Create a good luck symbol using a rimmed tray with a candle at the center. Ask family and friends to deposit change in the tray then fill the tray with water
6. Surround a few candles on a white plate with lentils, beans, rice, corn, flour and a cinnamon stick. Allow it to burn through the night, and then bury it as a sentiment for eternal abundance in food.
7. For good fortune, give a handful of lentils to family and friends, then eat a table spoon yourself.
8. On New Year's Eve, women who want love and passion in the next year wear red underwear; for happiness and prosperity, yellow underwear; for health and well-being, green; for true love and friendship, pink underwear; for hope and peace, white.
9. Eat 12 grapes representing each month of the next year. A sweet grape means a good month; a sour grape means a bad month to come.
10. At midnight on NYE, open the front door and symbolically “sweep out the old”.
11. Then throw 12 coins on the ground outside your home and sweep them back in for prosperity.
12. Another way to throw out the old is tossing a bucket of water out the window for renewal.
13. On NYE, watch the fireworks to frighten away evil spirits, allowing safe passage into the next year.
14. If you like to travel, take an empty suitcase and walk around a room our outside your home. This brings good travel luck.